Back to the Burda 2018 Challenge, those of you who follow my sewing instagram account (@allisoncsewing) will already have seen a preview of this dress. This was the pattern that really jumped out at me from the January issue although I will not be wearing mine over a sweater like they did in the magazine. I’m always a bit suspicious when they do things like that – did it not fit right; is there a big gaping hole at the knot part?
The pattern is also available as a pdf at the link below. There are also a few more photos here (without the sweater!) which is helpful.
The pattern is rated 3 dots which means "intermediate, for advanced learners". The instructions are a bit scarily long and the front bodice pieces are unusual looking, but it goes together quite easily – the little pattern piece diagrams are marked with seam numbers which is really helpful to refer to as you go through the instructions.
I did make a couple of minor changes – since I made this out of ponte I was able to leave the zipper off and I also did not line the dress which cuts the instructions in half! A few people have commented that there could/should be pockets in those front skirt seams and I think that would be quite easy to do although personally I don’t need any extra bulk around the tummy in a form fitting skirt.
The only part of construction that gave me difficulty was stitching the pleats in place on the inside, it wasn’t really obvious to me what to sew to what in a way that was both invisible and secure. I just experimented with pins until I got something I was happy with, but it’s not quite right and does pull a little bit now I’ve stitched it securely (probably too securely!).
Anyway, in conclusion I love this dress as much as I hoped I would from when I first saw the line drawing, it was interesting to put together and hopefully I will get plenty of wear out of it before it gets too hot.