2. Taylor Swift started dating Tom Hiddleston straight after splitting from Calvin Harris, which was pretty WTF anyway. But then things moved insanely quickly. Here they are meeting Tom’s mother after just NINE DAYS of dating.
3. Then just over TWO WEEKS after they started going out, Tom declared his love for Taylor on a T-shirt for the world to see.
Ryan Turgeon / Ryan Turgeon / Splash News
Ryan Turgeon / Splash News
4. He wore it during her 4th July party, which, as usual, included her billions of celeb friends. Including Ryan Reynolds, and this photo was born.
Here’s the summary: Taylor and Calvin broke up; things were totally fine. Some shit happened, they deleted every pic of each other, Taylor started her romantic world tour with Tom Hiddleston, and then Calvin Harris went off on Taylor on Twitter.
6. It happened when it was revealed Taylor actually wrote “This Is What You Came For”, Calvin’s song with Rihanna.
Calvin tweeted a string of messages which read: “She sings on a little bit of it too 🙃 Amazing lyric writer and she smashed it as usual. I wrote the music, produced the song, arranged it and cut the vocals though. And initially she wanted it kept secret, hence the pseudonym. Hurtful to me at this point that her and her team would go so far out of their way to try and make ME look bad at this stage though 🤔 I figure if you’re happy in your new relationship you should focus on that instead of trying to tear your ex bf down for something to do. I know you’re off tour and you need someone new to try and bury like Katy ETC but I’m not that guy, sorry. I won’t allow it.”
That was definitely a Katy Perry dig, right?! We’d explain that one, but that was so 2015.
Get the full lowdown here people.
7. It was also the year there was a WHOLE lot of Kanye and Taylor beef. It started when Kanye released a song called “Famous” with the lyrics “I think that me and Taylor might still have sex / I made that bitch famous”. This caused a LOT of drama.
Basically Taylor claimed that she never approved the lyrics, and warned Kanye not to release it.
Mark Davis / Getty Images
Her publicist told BuzzFeed at the time: “Kanye did not call for approval, but to ask Taylor to release his single ‘Famous’ on her Twitter account. She declined and cautioned him about releasing a song with such a strong misogynistic message. Taylor was never made aware of the actual lyric, ‘I made that bitch famous.’”
8. Then there was a lot of back and forth. Kanye said she definitely heard and loved it, Kim K backed him up in her GQ interview .
9. THEN SHIT GOT TOTALLY MESSY. Kim decided to upload the video of the phone call between Kanye and Taylor to Snapchat. We’re still not over it tbh.
10. Anyway, then Taylor put this on Instagram following Kim’s snapchat reveal.
12. So of course Khloe Kardashian got involved, and it ended up being Khloe vs Chloë. Kim’s sister tweeted this, alongside a picture of a girl that looked like Moretz from the back with her swimming bottoms falling down and showing off her bare bottom.
14. But it wasn’t all about Taylor. Lindsay Lohan debuted a new weird accent.
She said it’s a “mixture of most of the languages I can understand or am trying to learn”.
15. And also shared numerous unexpected EU Referendum tweets. Like these.
Who knew she cared so much about British politics?
16. Oh, also Kanye went to Trump Tower to hang out with Donald because that’s what a regular week day looks like in 2016 now. Apparently they just discussed “life”.
Timothy A. Clary / AFP / Getty Images
“We’ve been friends for a long time,” Trump told the media while posing for pictures. IDK.
17. Kim Kardashian decided to snapchat her way through a pregnancy scare. Because why not.
Kim Kardashian / Snapchat
“I’m legit in the airplane bathroom and I’m gonna take a pregnancy test, because I’m having a little bit of a scare,” she said in a video. “So, no big deal.”
19. Heidi Klum dressed as six Heidi Klums for Halloween, as you do.
Dimitrios Kambouris / Getty Images
20. Then there was all the Blac Chyna/Rob Kardashian drama. We’re over the shock of them getting together. We think we’re even almost over them having a baby together and calling their daughter Dream Kardashian
21. But we’re not sure we’re over their relationship in early December. It’s a bit of a long story, but it started with a load of messages that appeared on Blac Chyna’s Instagram account.
What followed was a long, long list of purported messages between Chyna and others, including one which allegedly tried to show her making plans to trademark the Kardashian name, while others badmouthed Rob. It’s important to note that we could never verify whether the messages were real or not.
22. But things got weirder just after that when Rob started posting on Snapchat claiming she’d walked out on him for Christmas with their baby. As he toured his empty home he said, “Got the Christmas tree all set up for Chyna and the baby, but they left me.”
Oh, and to make matters worse she apparently left with all of the food from the house as well. “She took all the Eggos. Man, all my Eggos,” he said as he showed viewers an empty fridge and pantry. “Where’s my sugar? She took my sugar! She took my OPEN bag of my favorite chips!”
23. Then, because this wasn’t all weird enough, Rob started posting memes — HONEST TO GOD, MEMES — about the apparent breakup of his family.
Anyway, you can read all the details here in full if you want to get totally up to speed.
24. 2016 also saw Leonardo DiCaprio making out with Dame Maggie Smith at the BAFTAs.
25. He also made this hilarious face when Lady Gaga brushed past him at the Golden Globes.
26. But maybe the best Leo moment of all was when he took a selfie and was really impressed with himself.
“Who is that fine gentleman?”
27. Oh, and this year, after 200 million years, Leo FINALLY won a goddamn Oscar.
Look how happy he was!
28. In more weird romance moments, Cheryl Cole and Liam Payne started dating.
Which felt a bit WTF at first considering they met in 2008… when he was 14 auditioning for The X Factor and she was 24 and the judge.
But they are happy and expecting a baby now, yay!
29. Also J-Lo and Drake rounded up the year by becoming a thing.
30. Idris Elba was also rumoured to be sleeping with Madonna in another weird romance story of the year.
31. Meanwhile Madonna decided to expose a teen’s boob while performing on stage, because she’s Madonna.
33. Justin Bieber wandered around Amsterdam wearing this fake moustache.
34. Oh, and he also totally stacked it off the stage he was performing on and seemed to disappear into the ground.
35. In one of the biggest celeb stories of the year, Brangelina divorced out of the blue.
Valery Hache / AFP / Getty Images
RIP Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. ☹
37. Usher decided to randomly post a nude to his Snapchat story and almost gave us a heart attack.
38. Kim K was also at it too with another full frontal pic.
39. In fact, there was so much nudity in 2016. Here’s Katy Perry paddle boarding with a very naked Orlando Bloom.
Frezza – Lafata – Mcp / FREZZA – LAFATA – MCP / CIAOPIX
We’re not looking at the shadow on his leg at all.
40. Also, Katy Perry’s dog pooped on a phone and she put it on Instagram for all to see for some reason. You have been warned, don’t click if you don’t want to see poop.
41. Stacey Dash made everything pretty awkward at the Oscars with this weird joke.
42. Reese Witherspoon started selling a “Wreath Witherspoon Dress” on her website.
43. But Kim Kardashian of course went one further and started selling butt collage wrapping paper on hers.
So she elbowed him in the face to defend herself.
45. When Mariah Carey posed in front of her humidifier like the Mariah Carey we know and love in this world.
47. And Zayn Malik revealed an alien told him to leave One Direction.
Universal Pictures / BuzzFeed
He told Glamour about the first time he thought about leaving 1D:
Q: First time you realized you wanted to break off from 1D and go off on your own?
A: An alien spoke to me in a dream….